Sunday, January 10, 2021

A New Year, a New Review!

 Ah, its strange to think I'm starting on year 4 of Gunnarson's Bag. It's been a crazy year, hasn't it? I've probably done more this year, in terms of Magic: the Gathering then the previous two years combined. Between getting drunk and playing in event after event in March, going to the 1st Birthday of the Desert Twisters, being kicked from the General Population of Old School Magic Discord, getting kicked from Captain (oh that was interesting), being involved in general drama involved with WotC, and missing both Derby's (again!).

I've also gotten some pretty awesome cards, tried my hands at alters (which I enjoyed doing, though the final product is sort of lacking in my opinion), we hit post 100 (Dakkon Blackblade <3), and tackled with unemployment.

Speaking of lacking, this year, despite all this theoretical free time, I only posted 21 entries in the blog, half of the previous two years (42/48 respectfully). At least two of these were short stories, and one was a guest article, so in reality, only 18 entries actually had to do with Magic. Counting the usually blog review in January, and three articles about issues involving the game at large, I'm reduced to a mere 12 deck/card reviews for the entire year. This is unacceptable, and to my fans (all five people) I apologize. 

I've decided I'm going to commit to one article a week minimum, with two a month guaranteed to be about Old School/95/Scryings/whatever. I'll probably continue to write my short story The Wayfarer on here, but might move the one not at all inspired by Magic to another blog, if I continue it at all. 

Now to the review:

Least Viewed Article (card review): Stone Hands. A musing more then a proper card review, the card was used to poor effect in my Lollipop Guild deck. I did say in a deck with stronger creatures then dwarves (where they would be takes out of bolt range) it would work better. Speaking of, Dwarven Lieutenant only has ten more views with 80 cards. 

Most Viewed Article (card review): The Banned 7: Jihad. The Banned 7 went through three cards currently, Jihad, Pradesh Gypsies, and Cleanse, all of which had over 300 views, not bad I'd say. 

Least Viewed Article (other): Not counting Homage and References, which is currently unpublished (for reasons I forget) its Pentagrams and Magic, which dealt with the weird, and occasionally hypocritical nature of the Pentagram on Magic cards. 

Most Viewed Article (other): By a considerable margin, it was none other then my ambitious project to review every single card in Scryings. It was so popular, I might try it again with Fallen Empires or The Dark. 

So what does the next year hold for Gunnarson's Bag? Well I already posted the first week article, about some tricks you can do with Vesuvan Doppelganger. I have a heated opinion piece about content creators demanding to be paid by WotC. I'm almost done with Chapter 2 of the Wayfarer, and I plan on writing a review on the mono blue deck I made for "Choose your own standard" tournament in December. Outside this, I never have a major plan. I'll probably review the References and Homage article I unpublished and maybe republish it. 

As for everything else! Happy 2021, and may it be better than last year.

2 comments:

  1. Happy new year!

    I'm one of your five fans ;-)

    I Always your enjoy your writing, I hope you keep it up this year.

    ReplyDelete