Sunday, January 7, 2024

White Weenie "Doubleton" pauper a Four Horsemen experiment.

 White Weenie is a classic archtype in Magic. Probably one of the oldest decks in the game, it's plan is simple: play efficient creatures and attack. One of the early aspects of white weenie, and one of my favorites, is banding, which despite some interesting aspects, was never quiet on strong enough creatures to make it worth the trouble. 




When the doubleton pauper tournament was announced, I dwelled on what to build for a night, before deciding I wanted to try out a white weenie deck. I knew from the start it was an uphill battle, with red being the strongest color in general in the format. It would be even stronger in this format, with powerful removal like Pyrotechnique, Fissure, and Chain Lightning. Combine this with powerful cards like Brothers of the Fire and Blood Lust, you have a strong color, often combined with blue for its efficient fliers and Unstable Mutation. 


However mono-white had good things in its own right. Trample and Banding is a match made in heaven, and a lower power format, cards like Moorish Calvary and War Elephant really get to shine. Shield Wall makes for a strong counter to the burn, and Morale and Army of Allah make for some aggressive attacks. 

The drawback of the decks include it being weak, with few evasive creatures, and the color as a whole topping out at a 3/3.


The Good: 

Moorish Calvary



As a 3/3 for 4, Moorish Cavalry is already on curve with many common in Old School. Add trample, and he's as aggressive as War Mammoth. In a format of low removal, Moorish Cavalry did its job remarkable well, especially when paired with a bander. In fact, the only real crime was I only owned one to run.


Army of Allah



A card that needs no introduction at all. Army of Allah is a card so good, and so fast, I've considered running mono-white in regular 4hm and have used it in OS proper. Anytime I had this resolve, it put me in a solid lead. Honorable mention to Morale as well, which while not as strong, as always welcomed.


Knights of Thorn



The Knights of Thorn had one really solid thing going for it, protection from red. With red being the strongest color in the format, that little 3 letter word honestly made all the difference. His banding wasn't bad either, but hardly as good. 


The Bad


Mightstone


This is a pet card I've tried in vain to work numerous times. Besides the awesome Pete Venters art, its a solid effect. A off color Orcish Oriflame, however it is symmetrical, which is where its problems stem from. If (and when) I was winning (which I wasn't often), Mightstone was a boon, the definition of a win more card. However anytime I was losing, I'd hesitate playing this, and sometimes not play it at all. Sadly, with this being one of the weaker formats, I don't see myself running this is much decks in the future outside the most casual of builds. Alas, too the long box it will stay.


Amrou Kithkin



An 11th hour addition to the deck when I realized that I could have won a test game if I had an Amrou Kithkin in play. Since white only had a single flyer, and no other major forms of evasion, it doesn't look bad on paper. However, almost every time I played it, it was a 1/1 for 2. Rarely did it end up being unblockable, and more time then not it was banding fodder or a chump blocker. The sad thing is I think I took out the blacksmith for it. 


Holy Light




Perhaps the most disappointing card in the deck. Holy Light was a poor combat trick, a poor form of removal, and an all around spot waister in the deck. It did once kill something when I also double blocked with a Pikemen and Tundra Wolves. Most times it was just a damage preventer, but alas, live and learn amirite?


I don't have an 'Ugly' category for this deck unfortunately. It did its job just a little short of what was expected. I did however, get the urge to run banding out of my system for a while, and that is always good.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're posting again. I go to this blog from time to time to look at some awesome old cards.

    ReplyDelete