Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Patina and old school








As some of you may know, and many of you might not, I'm into classic cards. I started sanding cars to help my family when I was 6, and the hobby has stuck, and while I might not be a professional like most of my family, it's still a major part of me.


So what is Patina? Well the definition of it is sort of broad, but it's usually associated with the natural wear of something, traditionally brass. It's also a common term used when trying to sell a rotbox. While I can sit here, trying to define it, a image is worth a thousand words.




So what does this have to do with Old School? Well recently I experimented with a different format, and for it, I built a deck from my 'childhood', thrulls. Yes, that ugly word. I did better than expected, forcing each game besides mono-white to a third game, and winning at least one match. However, while building I choose numerous well loved versions of the cards I played with. Revised cards with long since dirty borders, scuffed card faces, chipped borders, creased corners. Nothing done deliberately, just wear and tear from a different time. Not much different from the weatherization up above.



He was in not one, but two dioramas growing up.

A long and loyal mox monkey sits between my first coin flip cards.

It's a knight with a gun! Why wouldn't I run it?

Some of the damaged goods in Thrulls.



This is a very worn Eron the Relentless, one of my very first legends, it's been in numerous decks I've built over the years. Many would call this 'damaged' or at least 'heavy played'. However, I'd say it has 'patina'. Numerous of the wear has stories behind it, and while this is a rare example, it still stands as one.

When you talk about damaged cards, you get two camps. One camp, buys them because they are often a little cheaper, while others hold them with great pride, calling it history, and saying they feel 'right'.

When I was building Thrulls, it almost came as second nature, as I built the deck with little on good synergy, but instead what 'felt' right. The old cards I clearly once stuffed into pockets and book bags felt right, and I even started removing much cleaner ones for the damaged goods of old.

Old School and Cars have a bit more in common, then I'd like to admit. Memoralizing and customizations are common (signatures and custom paint for cars, signatures and alters for Magic), they have devoted fan bases, it can be a cheap or expensive commitment, and both have a love/hate for stock patina, whether that be for cars or cards. In fact, patina has gotten so popular, that 'artificial' patina has some out, which is a modern paint job attempting through bleeding and flat paint to replicate the effects of patina, some go as far as the to spray rust onto the car before sealing it with clear coat, and while I doubt we will see artificial damage, there may be a time when the idea of damaged but well loved cards will be just as respected as the grade 9 card.

Image may contain: car, outdoor and nature
My current project btw. Yes that's the original paint, or the 'patina'.

No comments:

Post a Comment