Saturday, June 1, 2024

A handful of Arabian Nights (deck profile)

 

"The more one has, the more one wants"--The Arabian Nights Entertainments

When developing decks for Four Horsemen, I usually go off the beaten path to develop a deck built around a central concept or theme. While some of these are mechanical themes in nature, others are entirely thematic. This one runs a gambit between the two. 


While thinking of what I could do, the thought "What if I build a deck using only cards from one expansion?" I quickly decided I would do Arabian Nights, as that the stereotypical 'strongest set in Old School', decided (or more didn't have time to make good proxies) I would only use cards I owned, though reprints weren't off the table. 

With this, I set off on an adventure into making the deck, settling on a 4 color midrange deck. 





Sorry for the poor quality of the photo


Theres a surprisingly strong number of creatures in the deck. Erg Raiders and Serendib Efreet came into play as early aggressive beaters with Unstable Mutation. Erhnam and Serendib Djinn make for some strong midrange decks. Oubliette, Witches, Desert, and to a lesser extend Abu make for decent removal (I dont think I ever played Alladin's Ring). Finally Wyluli Wolf, Island of Wak-Wak, Oasis, and War Elephant make for decent creature support. 


The strongest aspects of the deck, was how aggressive it was. It hit strong and fast but had little in the late game. Even without possession of Juzam, the deck was surprisingly good in the early game. However, when it petered out, as it had a tendency to do, it had no late game. Between the drawbacks of creature's in the deck, I was often killing myself as quickly as my opponent. 


Due to the simplicity of the deck, I won't do the usual good/bad/ugly with this deck, but I will mention a few stand outs:


Island of Wak-Wak was an all star, but everyone already knows this. 

Oasis: The fact this land can't tap for mana hurts it so much, but preventing one damage is surprisingly short. 

Erg Raiders is surprisingly underrated. I should do a review on it. 

Serendib Djinn is so strong, but so dangerous.


All in all, I'll give the deck a 3/5. Maybe I'll try to build it again with full proxies. Utilizing Ruhk Egg with Diamond Valley sounds too spicy not to try, and well draw backs cost me life, which turns it around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment