Thursday, January 9, 2020

5 Cards I wish was in Scryings





You can't please everyone, and while I'm certainly in that list, and I don't intend to play Scryings much, I will say that without a doubt, Scryings is a fun set none the less. I can understand the thought process that went behind it, nothing too game breaking (so things like Squandered Resources, Necropotence, and Fireblast would be out), nothing past Weatherlight, and it's fully excluding Portal (which technically came out between Visions and Weatherlight), and no mechanics that aren't legal in "old school" which includes Cantrips (and slowtrips), pitch spells, Cumulative Upkeep, Phasing, and Flanking.

With this in mind, their are still numerous cards, both old favorites, and fan favorites alike, that I wish made the cut. Here, I would like to talk about just a few.



Mtenda Lion

 Mtenda Lion

 While I wish Fallow Earth was around, I understand the threat a card like that could pose. However, when I was Ogre's younger brother of the OG stompy deck didn't make the cut, I was a bit set back. Sure my favorite elephant, and Riverboi was around, and I understand not all the pieces of that deck could be in the set (sorry Harvest Wurm), I still think this guy, the thinking man's stompy creature, should have been included, though looking back, it seems quaint to try and flush out blue mages counterspell mana to prevent two damage.


Taste of Paradise


Taste of Paradise 



Very few Magic cards depict romance, and very few Magic cards are good life gain cards. This one is both. I actually had a flare deck at one time, with Vernal Bloom, mana flare, and overabundance, in an attempt to gain life and burn out players with X burn spells. Sure, this one has some bias, but it's strictly better than the amazingly simple Stream of Life.  Plus we got the other "multi-kicker" spell in this set, that is Primitive Justice.


Swamp Mosquito

 Swamp Mosquito

I felt this was the perfect opportunity to throw in one or two more Poison counter related creatures. It was a hard choice between this awesome guy, and Sabretooth Cobra, but settled on the Mosquito, because of it's versatility and it's built in invasive ability. 

While I'm on the subject of Poison counters deck....


Fire Whip

 Fire Whip

The Johnny's secret, Fire Whip is suprisingly versatile. Once upon a time, it could be seen (rather poorly) being enchanted to Marsh Vipers and Pit Scorpions, to get around the evasive limitations of those cards. Since neither of them had built in evasion. 

You could also, equip this to Nicol Bolas, and during the end of the draw step blowing up hands at instant speed. and speaking of Bolas.


Shallow Grave

 Shallow Grave

Like many early tournament stories, theres a legend of someone playing this and Pox and turn one to aggressively swing with a turn one Bolas, thus discarding the players hand, and assuring his own victory. Now how true this story is, is debateable, but it's a cool story none the less. 

With Pox, and Bolas legal, I'm surprised this one wasn't included. Plus, it can make, since it's instant speed, an awesome combat trick as well. 



Honorable Mentions: Benalish Infantry/Shield Bearer/Kjeldoran Knight
Benalish Infantry 

Shield Bearer 

Kjeldoran Knight 

Ultimately I was disappointed in the lack of my favorite mechanic, banding. While I could go on about all the banders you could include, in my opinion these three are among the bests not currently legal, if we ignore Volunteer Reserves. Banding, the mechanical embodiment of Old School Magic, was cut from the game with Enchant Worlds and Rampage in Weatherlight. 

However, I understand why some might not like the mechanic. While this isn't a complete list of card I wish was in Scryings, it's the most notable ones. 

Come back to my next article where I will rate every card in Scryings in one sitting. 

Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment