Monday, December 30, 2019

The Last P.I. (pt 1)

(Please note, this short story has nothing to do with the usual content of my blog, nor anything to do with Magic: the Gathering. Please enjoy).


"It's the strangest case I've ever seen". Those were the words I heard on my phone at about 3 pm and a dreary Friday Afternoon. His voice, as with many who seek me out, was desperate, and it could be heard even across the landline.

The case, at first, wouldn't turn any heads, three gang bangers dead. However, it was how they were killed that was the cause of concern. The first one, two shots in the chest, apparently from his homie. The homie, in question, was found a few feet away, a snapped neck and a broken arm was what got him for his troubles.

The third one, a Tyrone McGee, had made an attempt to run for it, and got a hundred yards away, according to ballistics, frantically firing behind him, before apparently being cornered, and attempting a fight. It also ended with him being killed, but much less merciful, as his jaw and eye sockets had been shattered, and his chest cavity is apparently collapsed. A knife was also found near the body, but it apparently hadn't even his a mark, as no blood was found on the blade. Forensics had yet to comeback, however.

To all this, my contact said, was one witness, a migrant, who was failed to be picked by the local police. She refused to cooperate with the investigation, and has since disappeared, but was recorded describing the attacker as 'El Diablo'.

"We must have this 'devil' be discovered or disappeared. My bosses are starting to breath down my neck, and it's getting hard to have the local media to remain silent about it, this is the third incident like this, this month, and..."

He goes on like this for sometime. I reassure him, that I'm the best, and the case will be solved soon, and the rate will be worth him not losing his job.

Well, if you are listening to this, you must be wondering, well who am I? After all, something terrible has befell me if this recording is out, well I'm no G-Man or Spook. In fact, some who would fit that description are my toughest cases.

I'm, for the lack of a better word, a private investigator, but I do so much more. When a man receives a vision from God, I make sure it stays a vision. When some heiress is kidnapped, I'm the person that finds who did it, and if needed, make sure she doesn't end up in Africa. When some retired Majestic decides to take something into his own hands, I'm the one that convinces him to retire for good. Every time a child disappears without a trace, there is a pretty good chance someone in my field had something to do with it.

I'm the best, in my opinion, at what I do, and I have the record, and price tag, to prove it. Which is what's so alarming about this. There is a dozens of cheaper options, not to mention agents and detectives, that would do this case considerable cheaper, and just as efficiently, however, not as discreetly.

So why am I recording this, on tape, of all things? Well, something about this doesn't sit right, and I figure this would be a good insurance policy for myself. If this case is a set up, I'll use this with other evidence to bring down those who hired me.

Studying over the dossier that was faxed, I've concluded the suspect isn't ex-military, since his assumed lack of firearm training, nor is he a vigilante, since he left no calling card, as vigilantes tend to do. The other two cases, were just as random, an outlaw biker, and a pedophile, both brought down in surprisingly gruesome ways, which I won't repeat, both apparently by battery, and no evidence of fire fight. Nor any evidence of connection between the various men.

I've set up a rendezvous point between me and a local detective on the case through our mutual third party, early in the morning, and until then, I rest. After that, I shall search for the missing Jane Doe and check out the background of McGee. First day, goodnight.

-End recording-

No comments:

Post a Comment